Tuesday, July 1, 2014

INTERVIEW WITH KARIN SLAUGHTER

On The Seventies, Sexism, and Selling 30 Million Books

Every now and then, I've had the privilege to interview someone truly unique. Karin Slaughter is one of those people. Maybe because she doesn't give in to convention. She really tells it like it is, shining a light on the ugly part of the world, without any pretense.

In our interview she talked about her upcoming book, COP TOWN, and what the 1970's was like for women police officers, when sexism, racism and homophobia was rampant.

Even though I was a fairly young kid in the 70's I do remember my mother talking about feminism, equal rights, marches on Washington. She left a lot of political buttons scattered around our liberal household, and had quite a few friends who were gay and mixed-race. They were mostly artsy-hippy types who would come over for pot-luck dinners and a side of Nixon-bashing.

In my small, suburban, politically-correct town, I never came in contact with prejudice outside of Archie Bunker, who we all thought was hysterical, because of course no one could ever be like him. But they were, and right under my nose. People say things to adults what they don't say to children, and when I grew up I heard a lot. That's what I was thinking about when I read COP TOWN. Why did people put up with it back then? And, why do they now? 

Slaughter had a lot to say about all that, as well as her thoughts on writing. Check out the interview, this month's cover story in The Big Thrill.

Click here for The Big Thrill Interview with Karin Slaughter



No comments:

Post a Comment